South Muckleford Gold Project
The new South Muckleford Gold Project comprises two tenures, exploration licence EL6959 (“South Muckleford”, ~84km2) which was granted in July 2019 and exploration licence EL7021 (“West Muckleford”, 68km2) which was granted in May 2020. A large proportion of the South Muckleford Project is located on Crown Land and away from populated areas.
Located in the Maldon Goldfield these exploration licences cover the highly prospective regional Muckleford Fault and adjacent historical workings to the west (i.e. hanging-wall position) as well as the southern strike extent of the Union Hill Gold Mine. The Maldon Goldfield is the 7th largest Victorian goldfield with historical production of >1,975,000oz (>56t) and 317,000oz (9t) of primary and alluvial gold, respectively*. Like our Castlemaine and Tarnagulla Gold Projects, this goldfield is also of a similar setting, age, host rock and structurally controlled mineralisation style as other Bendigo Zone (Central Victoria) gold deposits.
The South Muckleford Gold Project is a strategic fit with Kalamazoo’s exploration strategy in terms of the following:
- Highly prospective gold field with proven high-grade endowment near a regional fault (source) i.e. the Muckleford Fault;
- Contains numerous historical gold workings which reveal linear trends indicative of lines of lodes/reefs similar to that observed within Kalamazoo’s nearby Castlemaine Gold Project.
- Majority of the exploration tenure is located on Crown Land and away from populated areas;
- A lack of younger sedimentary cover enabling easier, cheaper and quicker exploration;
- The area has not been subjected to systematic modern exploration techniques such as ground geophysics and airborne surveys;
- Relatively under-explored with only limited, shallow previous drilling; and
- Conveniently located only 10km from Kalamazoo’s Castlemaine Gold Project.
*Phillips, G.N., 2010 Victorian Gold Province, Australia: a contemporary exploration guide. GeoScience Victoria Special Publication
Castlemaine and South Muckleford Gold Projects